1753 Bachmann Publick House
Located at 2nd & Northampton Streets in Easton, this stone tavern was built by Jacob Bachmann and his wife at the corner of Fermor (now Second) and Northampton Streets in 1753. Local politicians would meet here to exchange news or to conduct meetings. Some important men who stayed here included John Adams of Mass., William Ellery of R. I., and William Whipple of N. H., all signers of the Declaration of Independence, as well as George Taylor, signer, who owned the tavern for a period of time.
A large room on the second floor served as the first Court of Northampton County from 1753 to 1766. Ben Franklin chronicled his visits to the County Court at Bachmann, but there is no local documentation of the visits.
The BPH is open for programs and special events. Tea parties, colonial activities and dinner theatre offered by the Bachmann Players are some of the activities that are frequently held. The BPH is also available for group tours and private rental. Contact Barb at 610 253-1222 for information.
For information on dinner theatre events at the Bachmann Publick House and how you can become involved with the Bachmann Players, check the link below:
February 13, 2016, 11am to 3pm – Chocolate and Romance February 14, 2016, Noon to 4pm Celebrate Valentine’s Day Colonial Style and sample the drink that was both patriotic and more popular than coffee or tea. Joint house tour & program with Mixsell House. $5 includes both houses. Tickets can be purchased at the Sigal Museum or at either house the day of the event.
May 7, 2016. 10am – 2pm – Spring Cleaning Colonial Style
May 14, 2016, 10am-4pm – Open for tours
June 4, 2016, 20am-2pm – The Declaration of Independence and Its’ Variety of Copies
July 10, 2016, 1pm-4pm – HERITAGE DAY!
Follow us on Facebook:
During the French and Indian Wars, sixty-five treaties with the Lenape people were signed in the tavern. These Native Americans lived in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. Today several rooms here are devoted to the culture and lifestyle of the Lenape.